Friday, February 12, 2010

Suehiro Rika 5000x

The Suehiro Rika 5000x waterstone is a unique stone for many reasons. This stone has a low price point but it's performance level is anything but cheap. This 5000x stone offers up one of the best levels of feedback that I've ever experienced from any stone of any price, it's a pure joy to use. At first take it appears to be only giving up a 3000x edge because the bevel provided isn't very shiny at all, however use this edge and you'll quickly see that it's a 5000x edge that this stone is yielding.

I've found the Suehiro Rika 5000x to be the perfect bridge between 1000x and 8000x stones. In fact, at the moment, my favorite go to stone line up for double bevel Japanese knives like the gyuto, santoku, or nakiri is...

Beston 500x

Bester 1200x

Suehiro Rika 5000x

Takenoko 8000x

These stones, used in this combination, are giving me great edges on double bevel Japanese knives. The results are as good or better than what I get from stones costing three times as much.

I'm very pleased to have such great stones at my disposal and to bring them to market to share with you.


5 comments:

rulesnut said...

Do you use them in that order?

IIRC, you mentioned somewhere that you use the Kitayama after the 10K.

Dave @ JapaneseKnifeSharpening.com said...

Hi rules, yes I've been saying for years that I prefer to use the Kitayama 8k after great 8-10k stones (like the Naniwa Chosera 10k & Superstone 10k), however in this instance I prefer to use it before the JKS10k.

The Kitayama never felt like an 8k stone to me. It appears to make whatever a great 10k stone does even better without changing it's specific characteristics. It feel like an enhancer....if that makes any sense.

When I follow this train of thought I find that the Kitayama diminsihes what the JKS10k does rather than enhance it. So I removed it from the line up (initially) but then came back and added it in before the JKS10k and then things worked great. The combo of the Suehiro Rika 5k, then Kitayama, and finally JKS 10k is a winner. Seems like I'm finally using the Kitayama as an 8k stone now.

Dave @ JapaneseKnifeSharpening.com said...

Just a note - I'm still loving this combo...

Beston 500x
Bester 1200x
Suehiro Rika 5000x
Kitayama 8000x
JKS 10000x

I simply can't believe the edges I'm getting from this set.

Dave

Bartek said...

So, nearly 3 years later, do you still use them, or have you changed your default set?

Dave @ JapaneseKnifeSharpening.com said...

Yes, after all this time I still use these stones. The Beston 500x, Bester 1200x, & Suehiro Rika 5k are my core set. Best regardless of the cost.